Saturday, January 24, 2009

London Calling

Am sitting in a cafe in London typing this...since for some reason, my ability to use technology has left me since I crossed the pond. I can't get the Internet, TV or phone to work in my accommodation. Oh well......

I arrived last night around 8:30 pm London time. Trundled off to the place am staying...dropped the bags off. Luckily there is a small grocery store just down the street, so got milk, cereal and tea. The problem was, my body was already on London time, but my stomach was on Toronto time. So had some cereal...then was off to sleep. Got up this morning and headed out for breakfast. I went for the traditional English....beans, eggs, sausage, bacon, toast and tea. Probably not the healthiest way to start the vacay...but when in Rome (or London, as it were.)

After the breakfast of champions, went across the street to the Borough Market. This place is awesome....kind of like St Lawrence Market, but better. I can't even begin to describe it. Tons of fruits, veggies, meat, bread, pastries....you name it, they seem to have it. Wandered through there looking at the wares. Then decided to walk along the River towards London Bridge. It's always cool to me, at least, seeing landmarks in person, that you see on TV or in the movies. Makes it a bit....surreal.

If any of you know me, you know how directionally challenged I am. And heading out alone in a new city....doesn't make for happy travels. So really just spent today getting acquainted with the city and getting my bearings. Am admittedly still pretty tired...so didn't attempt the Underground or the buses. That will have to wait for tomorrow.

Have spent the rest of the afternoon just wandering around....pretty aimlessly. Tried to find the houses of parliament...but apparently I am way more directionally challenged than usual. So just ended up.....wandering. Which was actually pretty cool.

I think I will have a pretty low key evening....maybe hit a pub for a pint. Then off to bed.

Tomorrow...who knows. I think I will try and get to the Tate Modern gallery. It seems close (at least on the map) and doesn't involve me using public transit. Might be the safest bet.

Since I can't figure the internet thing out....I might not post or email as much as I would like. Mom, Dad....doesn't mean that I am not ok...just means that I can't make it to a place where I can get an internet connection. :)

Oh yeah....the weather. It is actually pretty nice. NO SNOW!!!!!! I think it's about 6 degrees or so. Quite pleasant actually. Although it's damp....so my hair is a bit...unruly to say the least. Oh well!!!!

1 comment:

Justin Van Leeuwen said...

You know that I expect many photos - also of this market of which you speak. Take photos of the stands, ask the vendors if they mind if you take their photo with it - you can get some memorable shots!

Blog Archive