Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sunday Roast...(meant to have posted for Sunday January 25

Since I don’t have access to the internet, I thought I would start ‘blogging’ anyway...then post when I can. I am writing this on Monday morning...day 3 of my London adventure.

For some reason, I can’t get my bearings here. I am constantly getting lost. I am really hoping that I can get that sorted out sooner rather than later...it’s wreaking havoc on my feet.

Yesterday I decided to sleep in a bit, get up and have a leisurely breakfast at home. (I thought that having one English breakfast here was enough.) Then headed off to the Tate Modern. It was rainy...actually more drizzly. I did have a moment of grrrr....but then realized, it wasn’t snow or ice and was actually fairly warm out. I checked the map before leaving the hotel...thought it looked pretty straightforward. I did get lost, but thankfully there are signs for us wayward tourists on most street corners to direct us to the nearest tourist friendly location. So followed the signs and found the gallery....finally.

All (or at least most) galleries and museums here are free. And you only have to pay if you want to go to a special exhibit. There was a Mark Rothko exhibit at the Tate, which I did pay to see. I haven’t been a modern art fan in the past...but I have to say, I was quite impressed.

Now maybe they have this at all galleries and I haven’t taken the time to notice, but with all the pieces of art, there was a description of what it was, and information about the piece, or art, or whatever other relevant snippets. So I spent a lot of time just wandering around and reading about the works. As much as I am a fan of impressionist art, this was way more interesting. So spent most of the day there.

I decided to have lunch at the gallery. The restaurant is on the top floor. Both sides of the restaurant are glass, so you can see the city. As I got seated, I looked to my right, and there was the dome of St. Pauls. Quite beautiful. Had lunch (potato and garlic soup, penne with pine nuts and pumpkin...and a glass of wine, of course). Then trundled off to see the rest of the gallery.

Since St. Pauls looked so close, I decided to go and check it out. It was ‘just across the river’. I have to remember that large objects (such as a cathedral) look a lot closer than they are. And, me being directionally challenged doesn’t help at all. But...ended up finding it. As it was Sunday, there was ‘no sightseeing allowed’ inside. (Especially since there was a service going on.) I decided to sit and listen. (I am not a church going gal usually, but figured since I was there...probably wouldn’t do me any harm.) It was quite lovely. And apparently I picked a good day...it was the 2,000 birthday of St. Paul. Who knew.

After that, I walked back across the river and decided to hit a pub. Grabbed a pint of beer and a ‘Sunday Roast’. Quite delicious. (That would be roast beef, potatoes, veggies, yorkshire pudding and gravy.) Then it was time to head back....

Ended up getting lost. Surprising!!!! After wandering around for about a half hour...decided to break down and take the subway. Since that was the only ‘known’ quantity for me. (I know that my hotel is down the street from Borough tube station.) It was a success!!!!

About the lack of pictures....I have been either too tired, or it’s been rainy to take any (or a combination of both). Am hoping to have some very soon!!!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive