Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Versailles and Giverny


Took an organized tour of Versailles and Giverny today. Have been wanting to go to Giverny for many, many years. It's where Claude Monet lived and painted. And seeing he is one of my favourite artists, it has been on the list for a long time.

I have to say, it was beautiful. The waterlilies weren't in bloom, and the garden was at the end of it's peak (since we are heading into Autumn). But it was still breathtaking.

We drove through the countryside to an 18th century farmhouse for lunch. (I guess I should have read the itinerary closer...didn't realize we got lunch!) It was great. Then off to Versailles...

I have to say, not super impressed with Versailles. It was huge. Maybe that was the problem. The sheer size of it was overwhelming. It was crowded. And seriously, how many rooms with paintings, marble, gold, crystal and murals on the ceilings can you look at before getting bored. It was beautiful...but I had enough after the first 3 rooms. I can definitely see why the French Revolution happened. The cool thing about it was, there was an art installation at the palace. (You can see the pictures for yourself.) Kind of made it more interesting. Apparently the artist likes to juxtapose his art with his surroundings.

Back to the hotel, dinner, a trip to the Monoprix....then bed time.

I have decided to do the Louvre in 2 parts. Part 1 tomorrow, then part 2 on Friday night (when it's cheaper after 6). Tomorrow afternoon am taking the train to London. I get to brush up on my English speaking skills. Not that my French speaking skills have been getting a workout..but hey. :)

Paris Day 4


Picture today is of a sunflower at Giverny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pic!!!! Vive la France et Barb!

Blog Archive