Thursday, September 25, 2008

Le Louvre


Well, Paris day 5 was the Louvre. Luckily I had my ticket already so didn't have to stand in line. Once inside, made a bee line for the Mona Lisa. It's funny, they have most of the famous paintings marked on the map, and marked in the gallery where you can find them. There are 3 hugely famous works of art - the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo, and Winged Victory. Not that there aren't hundreds, if not thousands of others. Those are just the big 3....in my humble opinion.

The gallery is huge...like insanely huge. I spend over 3 hours there and only covered one period of paintings. There are hundreds of galleries, that have up to a hundred pieces of art in them. You would have to commit to a few days to make even a small dent in the whole thing. My goal was to see the big 3, then take in some paintings. I am not a big sculpture fan, nor am I a big fan on Egyptian art.

It wasn't too busy right off the bat, but as I was leaving around 1:00 or so, it was extremely busy. Glad I got up early.

Took the Paris metro (subway). It was actually not that scary. This is going to be much easier to see the city when I don't have to spend 3 hours schlepping everywhere!!!

Then it was off to London. A friend of mine was there for the day, and invited me over. So I said sure. It would be kind of cool to take the train, go through the chunnel and get out in another country. I have to say, it was quite cool. I wasn't there for long, so didn't see that much. But, I did ride the tube, a double decker bus, saw Trafalgar Square, Covent Gardens, Big Ben, walked along the Thames at night. It was all quite lovely.

Then it was back to good old Paris today.

From Paris Day 5


The picture today - is arguably one of the most famous pictures ever (possibly next to the Last Supper).

1 comment:

ldutton said...

Yes... the Louvre is totally overwhelming... but so amazing. Have you had a banana/nutella crepe from a sidewalk vendor yet? SO GOOD!!! What about Notre Dame? Are you planning to see it? So much to do!!!

Blog Archive