Sunday, September 21, 2008

Paris....jour deux


Where does one start??

Had a good nights sleep and felt much better this morning. Woo hoo! Trundled out of the hotel around 10:30 and went to the pastry stand in the gardens by the Louvre for breakfast - do you even need to ask what I had? Chocolate croissant and cafe au lait, of course. Sat in the gardens and ate it - much better than sitting in the hotel restaurant. Made my way to the Musee d'Orsay, which houses mainly impressionist paintings and apparently (now that I have been there) a lot of sculptures. Although it wasn't free (I really should have brushed up on the old French before I left) it was at a reduced rate.

It was huge. Which makes me very afraid of the Louvre. Decided to take a break and have some lunch - in the restaurant there. I picked the fancy one. It was beautiful. Then went on with the rest of the musee. There were many famous paintings there - Whistler's Mother (which isn't the actual title), a couple of Renoir's, and Degas. It was pretty awesome!!! Being surrounded by some of my favourite works of art.

After that started walking with the intent of doing a walking tour - to follow the Rose line (for those of you who are Da Vinci Code fans). Came upon the Luxembourg Gardens on my way. It is amazingly beautiful. I can't really even describe it. I took some pictures, but they do not do it justice in the least. It is some combination of the Luxembourg Palace, the beautiful gardens, and the fact that there are a bunch of people (more than a bunch) just hanging out relaxing. It was pretty breathtaking.

From here...Barb gets cranky. I got a bit lost in trying to find the place where the walking tour starts (I really need to learn to read maps better). Found a cafe, sat and had a coffee. Relaxed. And decided to call it a day. It was about another hours walk back to the hotel - by this time it was around 5:00 pm. Wandered back to the hotel for a quick nap.

Went out for dinner to a cafe. Had steak au poivre and frites. Seriously, there are called French fries for a reason. I have no idea what they did to them but they were some of the best frites I have ever had. Nothing fancy...but deeeee-lish (and of course, a glass of wine with dinner). And now am back at the hotel where it's close to 10:00 pm.

Lovely day...lots of walking...and my feet are killing me.

Tomorrow I may take on the Louvre, hopefully my feet are up for the challenge.

http://picasaweb.google.com/flirtygrrrl/ParisDay2#

Picture today is of a statue in the Tuileries. Thought it was kind of cool. Me trying to be artistic with the new camera.

1 comment:

ldutton said...

I know the gardens you're talking about. Beautiful. All your posts are making me want to go back. I'm so glad you're having a good time!

Blog Archive