Saturday, September 20, 2008

Arriving in Paris


Bonjour mes amis!!! Well, it's the end of a very, very long day. Where to start...

Arrived in Paris at about 6:00 am (Paris time...midnight Toronto time). Got to the hotel around 7:30 or so. Luckily, there was a room available at the hotel. Downside was I have a single bed vs. a double - but this morning, I have to say, I didn't much care if he offered me a room with no bed. Was pretty tired, since I didn't sleep on the plane. Got to the room and slept for a few hours. Got up and around about 11:30...and started my adventure.

The hotel I am staying at is literally across the street from the Louvre. Which is awesome. So made it to the Louvre and walked around outside...it's huge. According to one of my guide books it would take 9 months to see all the art in the Louvre. By this time was pretty hungry...so went in search of food. Apparently cafes to Paris are like Starbucks to Toronto (or Tim Horton's to Hamilton). Found a lovely cafe inside the Tuileries Gardens that are adjacent to the Louvre. Had a fancy ham and cheese sandwich with a coffee. Tres bon!!! Looked at the trusty map the guy in the hotel gave me and realized I was close to the musee de l'Orangerie (where Monet's water lily paintings are). So headed over there. Apparently all national museums are free today and tomorrow...so got in free. Sweet!!!

The water lilies were amazing. I had seen one at the museum of modern art in New York...but these were breathtaking. Headed out of there and made my way to the Champs-Elysees. (Sorry, can't remember how to make the accents on the letters.)

As I was walking along the Seine...caught my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. I think it is one of those things that is so huge, that is looks a lot closer than it actually is. Made my way along the Champs...and took a break to sit in a cafe and have a cafe creme and a chocolate croissant. Seriously, don't know what they do here...but that was the best croissant I have ever had. Admittedly I was a bit skeptical, it looked a bit dodgy...but tasted amazing.

Walked down to the Arc de Triomphe. Took a picture. (Yes, I know you can climb up it...but that was NOT going to happen today.) Then made my way back to the hotel.

Nap....then dinner. Found a grocery/pharmacy kind of store. They seriously have 2 aisles dedicated to chocolate. I love this city!!!

Awesome things about Paris: Old buildings, lots of places to sit, amazing food, you can buy pastries and crepes every 10 feet, you buy a coffee at a cafe and you can sit for hours. Downsides: not enough garbage cans. That's all I can come up with for now.

Am finishing off my glass of wine and then it's off to bed. Tomorrow...who knows. But I am sure it will involve coffee, cafes and possibly some pastries. :)

Here is a link to some of the pictures I took today. Didn't haul out the new camera...too tired. (Sorry...can't seem to make the link thing work properly.)

From Paris Day 1


Picture today is of me...on the way back home from Arc de Triomphe. And yes, I am as tired as I look. :)

No comments:

Blog Archive