Monday, April 12, 2010

Checking things off the list...

When I was in Paris last time, there were a few things that I wanted to do and didn't have the time. And there were a few things that I tried to see, but just couldn't find. So today I tried to check that stuff off the list.

First up was one thing I didn't have time for: Napoleon's Tomb. It's one of those things that I had always wanted to see. Not sure why exactly, since I am not a big history buff, or even a Napoleon fan. But hey...sometimes you just have to go with these things. Les Invalides, where the tomb is located, is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The entire building is actually a military museum, I bypassed on that part and just went for the big draw, since I am not really into military history. It was pretty cool. Very....ostentatious might be a good word. Obviously, Napoleon didn't design the whole thing....he was a little dead to do that. But I am sure he would be very proud.

After that, I decided that I wanted to hit up a church that was on my list from last time, St. Sulpice. For those of you who have read the 'DaVinci Code' (or watched the movie) you may find this name familiar. It is where the 'Rose Line' starts, and where the albino monk rips up the floor. So I hate to tell you folks, there really is no such thing as a Rose Line. Now, there is a line that starts there. This 'thing' is called the Gnomon of Saint-Sulpice. I am not going to try and explain it, Wikipedia can do a much better job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomon_of_Saint-Sulpice

There is basically a 'disclaimer' by the structure that explains that what was found in a 'recent best-selling novel' is untrue. (I took a pic and included it at the bottom.) I am glad I finally saw it.

Side note...I decided instead of walking, I would take the Metro (subway). For two reasons, I was getting tired, and I was hoping this would cut down on my potential to get lost. As luck would have it, the Metro stations that services the church was....OUT OF ORDER!!!! Seriously??!?!?!? Anyway, after wandering around lost a bit, then sitting down for a coffee and lunch...I was able to find it.

I then walked over towards Notre Dame cathedral. I had visited this last time, but I wanted to find a bookstore, Shakespeare and Co. that was located near it. Prior to the last trip, I read the Hemmingway novel 'A Moveable Feast'. It was his thoughts and narrative on his time in Paris. This is was one of the places that he hung out in while living in Paris. I believe that the store has changed locations since then, but it's still the same 'store'. This was an awesome bookstore. Although it was tiny, there were books crammed in every corner and nook and cranny. There was a reading room upstairs where you could hang out. I did buy a book...was going to be cliche and buy a Hemmingway novel, but couldn't find one. So I went with a biography on Shakespeare instead (probably just as cliche). They actually stamp the inside of the book to show that's where you got it.

The crazy thing is...it's literally right across the street from Notre Dame. I probably walked by it last time I was there. Silly me.

After that I took a picture of the front of Notre Dame (out of the 150 pictures I took last time, I somehow forgot to take one of the front...duh!!!!) Then I sat down in a cafe to chill out. After that, decided to take the Metro home.

All was fine except, the one stop I needed ended up being for commuter trains and not just the regular subway. Which is fine, if I was expecting that. (Think of waiting for a GO train as opposed to waiting for the regular subway). The trains didn't say where they were going on the front. And I was a bit confused. After asking a guy who worked there (who didn't speak English), and finding a guy who did speak English....(and a helpful woman who was waiting for the train) I finally found the right train and was on my way. Sheesh!!!

So those are the adventures for day 3. I am going to head out for some dinner very soon. And if all goes well, I will head over to see the Eiffel Tower at night.

Paris 2010 Day 3

No comments:

Blog Archive